Featured Post

"Pebbles" (Study in Orange and Blue), 30" x 44", watercolor on arches I loved this image as soon as I saw all t...

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Large Watercolor Progress



I've got the entire surface taped as you can see. The watercolor is 52" x 52", the squares are approximately 6.5". There is no need to be exact but I do like to get the squares fairly close in size so the image is close to what I want. 

Using a utility knife and a 3/4" roll of blue painter's tape (it does not damage the watercolor paper surface and can be removed and replaced easily), I cut a long piece of tape into about 4 pieces (about 1/8"), and keep taping until the surface is completed.

I don't draw every detail at this stage, just the main basic shapes; in this case a lot of different sized branches. I can work on details the further I get into organizing the piece. The second picture shows the bottom right hand corner; lightly drawn branches that are coming toward the viewer. There is a myriad of leaves and darkness behind and underneath these branches but there is no need to detail that now. That can be done in stages.

Once the drawing is completed I will begin working from the back to the front, and from darkest to the lightest. The more the background is detailed the more the foreground will pop out toward the viewer. 

Completing the drawing will take about a week. Then I'll dive into the painting and hope it works out to my satisfaction! Let me know what you think about this process or if you have any questions I'd be happy to talk!

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment